Mothers Day, when you consider how many countries celebrate it and when, is one of the biggest Global events of the modern age and considering its humble beginnings- the day in 1908 when little known American Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother in West Virginia campaigning afterwards to make Mothers Day a recognised holiday (which she succeeded in doing in 1914)- to what it is today, is quite an achievement and one heck of a legacy left behind by a woman who simply loved her mum enough to give her a proper send off!
Mothers Day is celebrated all over the world and throughout the year. From January through to December the world takes its turn to pay respects and celebrate their mums. The United Kingdom stands with Ireland and Nigeria in celebrating the day on the 30th March, whereas the second Sunday in May (also when the Americans celebrate it) is the most popular global date with around 80 countries celebrating it on this day.
Did you know, most countries have a tradition or something special they do on Mothers Day. Here’s a short list of some interesting facts and some of the more Cuckoo:
- Argentina – on the 17th October 2010 Google made a Google doodle for Argentinian mums and published it only in google.com.ar!
- Australia – the chrysanthemum is given as a tradition because it ends in ‘mum’!
- Belgium – fathers bring mothers croissants, sweet breads and pastries in bed!
- Indonesia- used to be a day where mothers would be told they should be docile and stay at home! Now its a celebration of cooking and kebaya wearing (a traditional blouse-dress).
- Japan – red carnations & roses!
- Malta – mothers are invited for lunch at an expensive restaurant!
- Nepal- lasts for 15 days and includes a pilgrimage to Kathmandu!
- Paraguay- its more popular than independence day!
- Sweden – the day was changed to coincide with the warmer weather and the picking of flowers!
- Thailand – Mothers Day is always on the birthday of the Queen of Thailand!
- United Kingdom – All Unique Mothers Day Gifts are bought at Cuckooland.com of course!
In Cuckooland – using our unique selection of products from all over the world we have put together a Mothers Day Gift Collection to cater for all our different types of Mums and their interests, impulses & indulgences! Including a £5 off exclusive voucher. YAYY! Take a peek:
In the spirit of keeping this Blog short & digestible, here are a few Worldwide Mothers Day Dates as promised:
- 9th Feb – Norway
- 8th March – Croatia
- 21st March – Egypt, Iraq
- 3oth March – Ireland, United Kingdom
- 4th May – Hungary, Spain, Portugal, Romania
- 10th May – Mexico
- 11th May – Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Cuba, Czech, Denmark, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Slovakia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, Ukraine, United States, Uruguay, Vietnam, Venezuela
- 15th May – Paraguay
- 26th May – Poland
- 25th May – Algeria, France, Morocco, Mauritius, Sweden, Tunisia
- 1st June – Mongolia
- 8th June – Luxembourg
- 12th August – Thailand
- 14th October – Belarus
- 19th October – Argentina
- 30th November – Russia
- 8th December – Panama
- 22nd December – Indonesia